Sunday, November 22, 2020

Love Among Leaves

 

"Autumn is no time to lie alone."
 
~Murasaki Shikibu
 
Sometimes it makes me a little sad to see a single leaf, all alone on the sidewalk. Solitary, as if without friends. When I was a little girl I learned that it is a good idea to talk to your plants and trees, because they respond on a basic level, and there was at least some anecdotal evidence that it's positive for humans too. I know, leaves don't have friends, but each one does spend it's life in clusters of company, on the same branches, with other leaves of difference shades and fingerprints, but one community all the same. Does love exist among leaves? I always wondered, if when one of the group drops, is there a sadness that is understood among the leaves, or is it a time of rejoice because, for the leaves, things worked as it should have? 
 
Just another mystery in the universe I suppose.
 
~Carly
Stockton, California
November 22nd 2020
 

No comments: