Monday, November 23, 2020

Autumn And The Sandhill Crane

 

Pilgrims
 
Tuscan reds and ochre hues
Olive greens and skies of blue
Sunlit valleys of charm
Secluded homestead and hilltop farm
 
Over hills birds in flight
Aromas whet the appetite
Autumn rustle fills the air
Reveling grace of trees laid bare
 
Pathways meander through the vale
Inviting travelers its height to scale
Sunset rewards as evening ends
And pilgrims to the night descend
 
~Collette O'Mahony
The Soul In Words: A Collection Of Poetry And Verse
 
 

Last Saturday was such a pretty autumn day, that we decided to take a drive to the Woodbridge Ecological Reserve, in Lodi, California. A couple weeks ago, I came across an article about how large numbers of Sandhill Cranes stop in the Delta wetlands, just west of Lodi, while on their migratory path. I have always loved Snowy Egrets and Herons, but I have never seen a Sandhill Crane, so it was kind of exciting to add a new bird to my Google Album, Birds. Seeing these cranes for the first time, has been an incredible mood lifter! There is way to much beauty in life, especially in autumn, to waste one day in the house! The cranes are such popular visitors every year, that Lodi now holds a Sandhill Crane Festival welcome them, as they move along their migratory path!
 
 This year, however, all the festivals in California have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 virus, which is sad, because festivals are one of the nicest ways to get to know the best of where you live! One of my favorites from the Bay Area, was the Pumpkin Festival, held yearly, in Half Moon Bay. I sure hope 2021 brings all of us some relief from the pandemic, and the world will see a genuine vaccine that will make everything safer for everyone. I am ready to stretch my wings a bit, now that I am fully settled into the Central Valley. I like little festivals, and the Central Valley has some delicious crops to celebrate. Apricots, Walnuts, Grapes abound, but for viewing just sheer beauty, you gotta love these beautiful birds! I am definitely making a note on my 2021 calendar. 
 
Once I got to the reserve, I was astonished to find that not only were there hundreds of cranes, but there were many other species of birds to see and photograph for the first time! Alan and I counted about 20 new species of birds that we hadn't seen before. We both agreed that we will be visiting again. Soon. The delta is so beautiful, the next time we venture out there will probably be to do some twilight shots. Sunrise and sunset is when they are at their most active, so hopefully there will be a colorful sunset to make for a beautiful photo of the cranes in flight. And to my delight, there is still a lot of autumn colors in the trees. Can you tell how happy I am to be on this new adventure with the camera?
 





~Carly
Stockton, California
November 23rd 2020


No comments: