"We fuck each other all the time, without even realizing it. We fuck every living thing on the planet over and over and think it will be fine because we use paper straws and order free-range chicken. And the sick thing is, I think deep down we know we're not fooling anyone."
~Amanda Sanford ( Julia Roberts )
Leave The World Behind
From the book, Leave The World Behind
By Rumaan Alam
"Well, when I couldn't fall back asleep thus morning, I came over here. To watch thr sunrise. And I saw all these people starting their day with such tenacity. Such verve. All in an effort... make something of themselves. Make something of the world. I felt so lucky to be a part of that. But then I remembered... what the world is really like. And I came to a more accurate realization. I fucking hate people."
~Amanda Sandford ( Julia Roberts )
Leave The World Behind
Do you ever wake up one day, and think to yourself, I can't take one more day of humanity? I know I do, often. Like the character of Amanda, I have, at times, become weary of of being around people in 2026! Things are so selfish and scary. The glee and glow, for some Americans, comes not from living the American dream, but rather the thought that we would all be better off if a nice little civil war would take place, to save America from... us. This movie addresses one such path towards the end of the world, through frightening means.
Strange happenings. Coincidences. Conspiracy theories and a sudden lack of connection to the outside world, and it's affect on an America used to being plugged in all the time! It all leads to the feeling of being on the outside looking in, all while feeling all to aware that life has gotten very, very, real when you weren't looking. The collection of eerie moments in this film are terrific, one such involved the arrival of an large container ship, on the shore of a pristine beach! Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawk are perfect as a couple who are almost polar opposites, but who used those differences to apply critical thinking to their new circumstances. Two different perspectives is a good thing!
But soon, it turns out to be about more then just them trying to figure it all out! Is it danger calling, help calling, or is it something eerily different?
I don't want to give it all away, so go watch the movie! There is a cool tie-in to the television show, Friends, so here is a little music that fits very well with the movie!
"I'll Be There For You"
The Rembrandts




No comments:
Post a Comment