Friday, December 29, 2017

Roses That Sing

"Maybe there's a whole other universe where a square moon rises in the sky, and the stars laugh in cold voices, and some of the triangles have four sides, and some have five, and some have five raised to the fifth power of sides. In this universe there might grow roses which sing. Everything leads to everything."

~Stephen King

"IT"


Alan bought us some roses for Christmas! They weren't just for me, they were for Hendrix too! Hendrix has always loved the taste of roses, and in fact, cries for them if he sees them anywhere in his line of sight! It all started one day, when we were living in the cottage in Berkeley. I had a rose garden, surrounding a Japanese Maple tree. There were roses of every color! Of all of the different kinds, I think my favorites were the white ones, followed closely by the Hot Cocoa roses. As it turns out, the white ones were his favorite too, because one day he decided to take a big bite... CHOMP... of the prettiest white rose in the garden! He ate those petals with such glee, that it was hard not to laugh, even though I had spent the better part of a year, caring and shaping them!




 I checked with several online sources to see if he was in any danger from that big bite he took, and as it turned out, roses are not one of the flowers that are fatal to cats. That was a huge relief! So, from time to time, we buy him some roses, and let them dry slightly, so he gets to eat them like potato chips. Taking that big bite was all it took, for him to form a lifetime taste for rose petals, which he now eats like potato chips! He only gets 3 petals every few days, as I can't go out and buy them as often as I would like to, but watching my little cat enjoy them over Christmas, has inspired me to put more thought into getting him a rose bush this spring!

He loves them so much, that's not a lot to ask for, considering how well he takes care of us! I only use organic soil and plant food, so he never gets exposed to anything that might harm him. I don't know for sure what type of rose I might get, perhaps I will try a new one, but my goodness, I sure do miss the Hot Cocoa roses, and truth be told, I miss all the varieties that I had in my garden. But there was a pumpkin colored rose that I had always wanted, but could never find, maybe this is the year to search for it! Regardless, I know my little boy will be happy with any rose I choose!

From The Archives
My Rose Garden

Apricot Nectar
Hot Cocoa


 Mood: Happy
~Me :)

No comments: