Saturday, October 07, 2023

San Francisco Fleet Week 2023

 
 
“What could be more exciting than an October day?
 It's your birthday, Fourth of July and Christmas all rolled into one.” 

~ Peggy Toney Horton 
 
 
 

It's Fleet Week, and yesterday it was practice day for the Blue Angels, and I enjoyed watching them zigzag across the bay. One moments soaring over the Bay Bridge, the next moment... literally... they were doing all sorts of diving acrobatics over the Golden Gate. The was silvery. It was late afternoon, so the sun was well into the western sky, and this being October, the sun and the bay twinkled silver. If I had been on the San Francisco side of the bay, I would have had a different, more of a blue background, but I decided at the last minute it would be nice to see if I could find a decent vantage point.
 

 I was in the east bay, which is fine, because Emeryville has several spots on the bay and I got to include San Francisco in the background if I could just find a spot. And I did. Thank you little blue handicapped placard. It almost makes having a bad knee worth it! Any time I can see San Francisco makes me feel wonderful inside, but having the Blue Angels in the photo is especially nice because it brings back memories of going to the airshow when I was a very little girl.
 
 
 My dad worked at the Alameda Navel Air Station, and therefore had one of the best seats on the bay to watch. The military base where he worked. I will never forget the insanely loud roar as the planes departed the nearby aircraft carrier, even the noise canceling headphones I was wearing didn't completely muffle it. I looked forward to our little October tradition, and then one year we just stopped going, who knows why? Maybe I just got too old for it, or maybe dad did. I don't know which, but it was dad's birthday yesterday, and he would have turned 105 years old. We would have enjoyed seeing them again, and I do wish he could have been with me yesterday. I miss him.
 
 



No comments: