Thursday, September 28, 2023

Ghosts, Real And Imagined

 

"We cannot hide from our ghosts. Whether they are real or not."
 
~Hercule Poirot
A Haunting In Venice
 

So, the other night we went to the movies. It has been years since we have been to a movie, what with the big move in 2015, money problems that come with owning a home, the Covid-19 pandemic, and the outbreak of bed bugs in the Central Valley, you name it, there has just been a lot of stuff that kept us from going out the way we once did. We stopped going to drive-ins, all the way back in the 1990's, when the drive-in theaters began to close. I think the last film we saw at the drive-in was Batman! The Michael Keaton, Batman! So, when Alan and I were considering what to do, to break out of our rut of homemade popcorn and streaming, we decided to revisit the idea of the drive-in. We had been wanting to try the West Wind theater for years, so when, if not now? Besides, it would be good for me, as I have been recoiling from trying new things, even if the new thing was something old. Especially if the new thing, once brought me a great deal of joy.
 
Why? I am not completely sure. Maybe the fear that if I had fun, something awful would happen? Well, I have always been a little bit that way, but not without good reason. There is nothing worse than finally pulling the stick out of one's ass, having a fantastic time doing something fun, only to get a flat tire on the way home, in the dark, on a scary road, during autumn, where everyone knows, ghosts, vampires and werewolves frequent! ACK! Or finally painting one's home office, just the perfect shade of lavender, only to find yourself in a necessary move less than six months later. I kid here, but you get my point. Shit happens. It just feels sometimes like it happens a lot more than I would like it too! Sometimes, however, you just have to push through the head noise and fears and prove your inner sour puss wrong. The next shoe to fall will eventually happen, whether I am having fun or not.
 

We had a great time. The movie we went to see, A Haunting In Venice, was terrific. Great storytelling. Awesome cast. Everything was fine. I did feel my age a little. It was a dark movie, and my eyes aren't quite what they once were, but it certainly wasn't enough to not enjoy the experience. The movie began at 10:30 pm, which I loved, I am a night owl, so it was a good fit. It was Tuesday, so it was $6 movie night. Hell, I remember paying $12.50 just a few years ago for a matinee. It was, as a night out goes, as perfect as it gets. Okay, so I wish the knucklehead in front of us would have took his foot off of the brake, and I wish it hadn't been a full moon outside. The light from the moon was amazingly bright, but that was just all part of the experience. And in a weird way, made it all kinda fun!
 
The whole night was good for me. The haunting my mind promised, never happened. No ghosts. It was good for us. October will be here in a few days, I wonder what new old thing we will try next month? Whatever it might be, I really hope ghosts, ghouls, vampires, werewolves and witches are most certainly involved!


 
Stay Tuned! 
 

 

No comments: