Thursday, December 03, 2020

Things To Come

 
"I knew by the signs it would be a hard winter. The hollies bore a heavy crop of berries and birds stripped them bare. Crows quarreled in reaped fields and owls cried in the mountains, mournful as widows. Fur and moss grew thicker than usual. Cold rains came, driven sideways through the trees by north winds, and snows followed."
 
~Sarah Micklem
Firethorn
 
 
Why do they do it? Why can't they, the Covid-19 deniers, understand it's a matter of life and death? Why don't they understand it's not the flu? And, at times, one will encounter the truly jaw dropping, and the question must be asked... what is with the Covidiot that has enough brain power to put a mask to their face, but not enough to position it properly? It's the couple in the photo, and others like them, that makes me wonder... are they trying to provoke a response, or are they just clueless? Could it both? I want to understand.
 
 I wanted to approach them and ask... why? Why don't you believe it's a dangerous pandemic? Why are you taking your life into your own hands? Why do you care so little about your neighbors and your community, that you can't even be bothered to try? Why can't you just listen to the science? Why can't you listen to experts who have been studying infectious diseases for over half a century? Are you truly that selfish? Do you really trust the "expert" advice of Donald Trump? A man so corrupt that he is considering issuing himself, Rudy Guiliani and his children blanket pardons. What makes you believe he has your best interests at heart? What has he done, for you to invest so much faith in him?
 
I spotted this couple on my last official shopping trip, just before Thanksgiving. I wanted to approach them, but decided to not do it. I thought about making an example of them on Twitter, but it could lead to something I find just as repugnant... the ever popular death threat. It seems some folks can't express their feelings without mentioning violence, and threatening to kill the offending party. It seems every infraction no matter how big or how small, must end in the offending party being hung at dawn, but that is life in America in 2020. Folks, so afraid of dying that they are willing to kill others, and others who are so afraid of listening to more than one voice, they are willing to take their life, and the lives of others, in their hands. I don't understand all the time folks waste, when life is so short anyway.
 
I'm back inside now. And it's a good thing I made the decision to self quarantine again, because its becoming more apparent that Governor Newsom is getting ready to shut the state down again. He has to, because in the last couple weeks the Covid-19 stats for the state have exploded. I support it 100%, and at the same time, my heart is breaking for all the small businesses that have had to shutter, and all the folks out of work because this virus was born in the year 2020. Autumn was my first real time out of the house since the original shelter in place order was issued last spring, and it did wonders for my mood and sleeping. Autumn is usually a time of healing for me, but this year it was like no other time in my life. Beautiful leaves and new animals and birds I spotted with my camera. New places to explore. The golden autumn sun. And finally, the national election and win for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. All that in the three months of autumn, with a few weeks left to go.
 
But winter is coming, and it's promising to be the coldest winter of my life. There is a possibility Alan or I, or both of us, could contract Covid-19, even after doing our part, even after following the directives, and educating ourselves. It will be hard to not wonder if it was because of someone else's carelessness. Why can't everyone just be a little less selfish? Why would someone ruin a beautiful place like the Woodbridge Ecological Preserve, by discarding a mask and a cotton swab, that could be infected with a deadly virus? Why would someone do that? I don't get littering anyway, but that is taking lack of self-respect to a new level. Who does that?
 

 


 





~Carly
Stockton, California
December 3rd 2020

No comments: