Thursday, November 29, 2018

Twilight In The Cemetery

"Twilight, even remembered twilight,
 is better than no light at all."

~China Mieville
Ione Public Cemetery
500 Church Street
Ione, California
October 28th 2018

Back in October, I had planned to begin a new series, Cemeteries. I did one post, which featured the Ione Catholic cemetery, which also contained a lovely little chapel. Well, the day I photographed that cemetery, I also took some photos of a cemetery across the street. I decided to put the rest of my photographs on hold, after the devastating wildfire took place in Paradise, California. It just didn't seem like the right time to begin such a dark subject. After all, I can add to this series at any time during the year, so there was nothing time sensitive about it. I used to be a little frightened of cemeteries, but with maturity, came a different attitude completely.

 I began to think of all the history of those who are resting there. They all lived lives, so they all must have plenty to say about the times they lived in. Ione, for example, has had Their challenges. Their embrace of the times, or conversely, the things they rejected. What was their politics like? What was their social culture like? What was it like during the Gold Rush days, and what was it like to have the jazz musician, Dave Brubeck, be it's most famous son? Is Preston Castle/School of Industry, actually haunted? But I am not so sure I wanted an answer to that question! Not here anyway!

 All questions I will never know just by visiting the grave sites, but at the same time, by looking at the dates on the monuments, there is a point of history that can be researched. Plus, there is a quiet, calming thought about passing through an example of where I will call home one day. If I have my way, I will be cremated and scattered in the San Francisco Bay, or at least off the Marin County coastline, but I got a good vibe from this cemetery, well, except for the spooky Preston Castle, staring down on the cemetery, as if it is watching it, and the sign warning visitors to "beware of rattlesnakes."

 I don't think I have ever seen that kind of sign in a cemetery before, and it makes me wonder if anyone was killed by a rattlesnake, while visiting a loved one? Anyway, if my first choice is not obtainable, at least there is a cemetery, not too far away, that has some amazing autumn trees! All I ask is for a few autumn trees to drop a few leaves over me, and I am good to go! But not right now... lol... sometime a long time from now. Maybe sometime after I photograph Wyatt Earp's grave site, in Colma, California or maybe the Black Dahlia's (Elizabeth Short) resting place in Oakland. Morbid? Or is it simply history? Maybe a little of both? Anyway, I am attempting to show the beauty of cemeteries, and not the sorrow.


And now the autumn Leaf Of The Day...

#69 Leaf Of The Day
November 29th 2018
Photographed October 11th 2018
Tilden Park
Little Farm
Berkeley, California


~Mood: Quiet
~Me

No comments: