Sunday, July 19, 2026

Redecorating A Little At A Time

 

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never achieve it."

~Salvador Dali

I am hoping to do some painting, and redecorating, in the coming months. I just want to change some basic aspects of my home. A lamp here, and vase there. A new quilt set can change the whole feel of a bedroom, as can a lamp or throw pillow. Money, as you might expect, is an issue now that Trump has caused prices to raise. It's truly a shock to the system. DO I buy a lamp right now, or do I put the money away in case some unforeseen emergency arises? I need towels, do I start there? While home furnishings have only raised about 2% since 2024, it still seems like a big spending luxury, when you're paying so much for other goods and energy costs. I can't change my whole domestic surroundings at once, which is a shame because for me it's easier to imagine the look, but there is something to be said for allowing my condo to speak to me as I add a piece at a time.

Let's start here.

I love my current quilts, but it creeps me out that they were seen by everyone and their brother when we listed our house for sale, several years ago, and again when were considering selling in 2023. People I don't know, knew my style and what the bed I slept in looked like. Ugh. So, and new quilt set wouldn't be out of line. 10 years is long enough for a quilt set. Full stop! And it's also not out of line to dismiss an icky feeling that's followed me for years! Let's consider quilts.

I like this one from Wayfair. I love Wayfair



But this one is pretty nice too.


I can add a vase with some artificial orchids or maybe peonies to create a soft, inviting room. Colors easy on the eyes, so sleep is only a snore away. Funny, I used to watch CNN and MSNBC to fall asleep, now the news terrifies me so much, it's anything but rest inducing. Now to fall asleep, I use restful noises from my Alexa or if my sleeplessness it really bad, I use little bottles of essential oils I keep by my bedside. Lavender and cedarwood, and are all great for you if you seek rest. I also enjoy cinnamon and clove, as those are my favorite scents. Below is a great article from the Cleveland Clinic about the uses of 11 specific scents and how they work to benefit you. I love farmhouse style, Mid-century and eclectic with a sense of humor. I want to do each room eventually, but mixing too many styles can come off insane. It's a process. So, sometime soon I will share about where I have landed with things. I might even repurpose old items I have packed away. A new lampshade on an old lamp can make all the difference! I just wish I understood why lampshades are so expensive!



Cleveland Clinic 

It's going to take a little time. 








No comments: