Tuesday, January 02, 2024

The First Robin Of 2024

 

“If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.” 

~Emily Dickinson 
 
This was not the first picture I took for the year, but it is the first picture of a bird I took for year. The first picture I took was of a dumpster with a refrigerator sitting next to it. It looked like it had been a pleasant enough appliance at some point, but now it was a discarded old fridge that probably had stored many a New Year's Eve snack. What a way to treat a faithful old pal like that. And on New Year's Day to be exact. On the other hand, I once had a refrigerator that I hated so deeply, I begged my husband to let me personally throw the damn thing down the garbage chute at the dump myself. But I save that story for a different day. Right now it's all about the birds, and as I sit here, I am a happy girl. We have almost 50 birds in the 2024 album, most of them from yesterday, so the year is off to a wonderful beginning, and we are planning on visiting Bodega Bay later this week. A lot of gorgeous stuff has been reported in the last couple days, and hubby and I are both really excited for the possibilities. Who knows, maybe we will make this a really BIG YEAR and top our number for 2023. We ended at 163 birds, many of which were new sightings, like the Black Oystercatchers and Caspian Tern. Maybe 2024 will be there year that we spot a California Condor and a Snowy Plover!



No comments: