Saturday, December 16, 2023

Planning, Timing And Luck

 

“I had the epiphany that laughter was light, and light was laughter,
 and that this was the secret of the universe.” 

~Donna Tartt,
 
That's an a American Goldfinch I met at Yolo the other day. I knew that there would be some perching birds to be found, but I was a little surprised to see the goldfinch, because I have to date not seen one before the Spring. Of course I am basing that on the ones I have seen mostly along Desmond road, in Galt. I have only seen them once in across the street, in Louis Park, but never in the yard tree. Birding is definitely a science. It's not as easy as picking up a pair of binoculars and looking for birds. I use several apps to help me locate, and ID,  certain birds and even with those resources, there are no guarantees. There is only two more weeks to find the perchers left on my list, so I am going to have to do a lot of planning to reach my goal for the year of 170. 8 more birds to go. It won't be easy, but the positive part of Autumn crossing into Winter is that the skeleton trees make the perching birds so much easier to spot. Birding is part planning, part timing, and part luck, but sometimes I think sheer luck runs it all. 8 birds to go... with a little luck I think it is possible.
 

No comments: