Friday, October 13, 2023

Fate, And Welcome To It

 

“Autumn is the mellower season, and what we lose in flowers
 we more than gain in fruits.” 

~Samuel Butler 
 
 
Oh my. Some of the most beautiful colors of autumn, happen in vineyards, in October. Delicious ripe grapes, make delicious wines, and the Central Valley has no shortages of them. My favorite wine, Apothic, comes from a vineyard in Modesto. Grandpa owned a vineyard in Lodi, and dad spoke often about the colors of the grapes in the autumn. I wish I could have seen it, but the entirety of the property was sold years ago. Maybe one day I wish search my family tree and see if I could locate where the property sat. It would be nice to see what my past looked like. I wish I could have known my grandfather, he immigrated here in the early 1900's with 6 wife, 6 children, and a rather large sewing machine. Not long after they settled in, grandma became pregnant with my father, the only one of his kids born in the United States, and soon after giving birth she perished from the flu pandemic of 1918. See, with my fathers deep roots, finding myself living here was probably fate, and I am really okay with that. While dad never liked the valley either, he was mightily impressed with the grapes, and all the other joys of living here. Now, I understand it too!
 



No comments: