Sunday, October 25, 2020

Mid-Century Cocktails, Cafes, Bowling And Life

 


"Autumn is an honest month; it does not delude man like spring does! 

It shows him the dark face of life, the tragedy, the rot, the separation, the sadness!"

~Mehmet Murat ildan


 Two new examples of Mid-Century excellence! I have been eyeing this first awesome building, since before we settled in Stockton. I first noticed it when we were still looking at properties. We passed it one day, when we went to see the magnificent Elm st. mansion. What a cool that place was! Two stories, with gorgeous turn of the century crown moulding, and chandeliers throughout. Not usually my style, but it worked in this place. A full-sized wood carved bar off the living room, and a really nice private office that faced the street. It was impressive at $200,000, and it was in our budget, but it was too much house for us. The stairs would have been hard for me, given my arthritis, and it was right on the street with no yard, and if that wasn't enough, it was right near Harding, which is a really loud street. It was just all wrong. Ultimately, we ended up across town, in a really nice mid-century, ranch style, with a pool and really great early 1960's charm. Perfect... for us! But this building, with the cool sign was never far away from my thoughts of doing some photography, once I got settled. I bet this was a snazzy bar back in it's day, it seems closed now, but the cool sign lives on!

 



This one is the second of two bowling lanes in Stockton. Situated a little closer to where I live, it's a bit newer sign than most of my previous ones, but this one has some fairly cool lines all the same. Places like this are still closed in San Joaquin County, so I have never seen the inside of any of the buildings I have photographed so far, but maybe one day I will be able to venture in, to see if there is any original advertisements or decor. That would be really fun to find and photograph! I love that the sign is shaped like a bowling pin. I know it's pretty much a given, but it's making me happy inside somehow, I don't know, I am just happier over all these days. Shrug. Maybe it's being able to get out with the camera, or perhaps because I have found so many terrific subjects to photograph, I am not sure, but I am doing better, and for that I am grateful. I will hold onto that as long as I can, and continue looking for autumn leaves, and mid-century life, and try my best to not live in the past, except for when it comes to my love for the kitschy styles of the 50's and 60's.





~Carly

Stockton, California

October 25th 2020

No comments: