Tuesday, October 09, 2018

The Willet And The Leaf Of The Day

Willet
November 9th 2007
Emeryville, California
Minolta

"Autumn is the greatest reminder: it reminds us how dreamlike beauties our earth has and it reminds us how all these beautiful dreams can easily vanish."

~Mehmet Murat ildan


That beautiful bird is a Willet. I photographed it on November 9th, 2007, just after the cargo ship, Cosco Busan, crashed into the Bay Bridge, and dumped 53,569 gallons of Intermediate fuel oil into the San Francisco Bay. This accident devastated wild life for months afterward. If you look closely, you can see some of the oil this bird is standing in. It was heartbreaking! I hope nothing like this ever happens again, but there is a part of me that fears it will.

With national environmental protections being eroded every day, it's just a matter of time. Fortunately we have had two governors in a row, one Republican, one Democrat who have understood the importance of conservation and preserving the coastline in California, and for that I'm grateful.

I hope it stays that way, but unfortunately there is a part of me that believes it's only a matter of time before there is another accident, perhaps on a larger scale. I pray I'm wrong. California is safe for now, I think, but not necessarily true for the rest of America. When did preserving the only Earth we have, become a partisan issue?

#18 Leaf Of The Day
October 10th, 2018
Ione, California
Samsung 7

~Mood: Quiet
~Me :)
 

 

No comments: