Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Art About Town... Stockton Children's Museum Toy Soldiers

"There is nothing truly more artistic to love people."

~Vincent Van Gogh



I am beginning to really enjoy Stockton, and learn about it's past. What is really exciting about my new hometown, is all the public art around town, and the stories behind some of them! I am not sure if the Toy Soldiers at the Children's Museum of Stockton is considered part of their official public art program, but they have always caught my eye, any time I have been down on the waterfront, and so I thought I would learn about the museum, and it's history.

As it turns out, the museum has a very poignant story, and I will leave a link to it at the bottom of the page. Horrors happen every day, and on an average day in 1989, something truly horrendous took place, on a school yard in Stockton. I can't speak about it. I am very passionate on the subject, and if I begin explaining it, I feel like it will take away the meaning of this post. To me, the point of public art is to heal, to educate, and escape the horrors of the world.

I have photographed art that went out of it's way to both bring the soul peace, and I have photographed art meant to disturb the soul so deeply, that we finally face the truth about our pasts, presents, and futures. Right now, as I am encouraging my own healing, at least I am trying to, and I appreciate this museums work to not ignore that painful past, but to demonstrate to children, with hands on exhibits, the best of life. The art of healing, through art. This whole concept makes me thrilled and proud to be a Stocktonian.

Please take a moment and read about the tragic circumstance that inspired this amazing place for the children of Stockton! And if you are looking for a truly good cause that helps children, please consider donating to this amazing place!
#11 Leaf Of The Day
October 11th 2017
Stockton, California
 



Mood: Reflective
 
~Me




No comments: