Saturday, December 13, 2008

Round Robin Challenge: Hometown Holiday Decorations

"Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles."

-Unknown

There is a marvelous exhibit of giant Christmas bulbs at 101 California street in San Francisco. That is the downtown area, right at the Business and Financial district, and it is a really, really festive and charming way to celebrate the season! It is such a nice change from the usual bland gray skyscrapers. A nice splash of color for the cold, days of late autumn. It is going to be really brisk and cold the next week or so. Just in time for the holidays. YIKES. Snow levels are going to be down to the 2500 foot level, which means the Bay Area peaks will see a dusting of snow. As much as I am looking forward to it, I know for some it will be a dismal thought. I imagine this bit of color will lift spirits, at least a little. :)

Lets see some other decorations I spotted around town and beyond...

Christmas Tree in Union Square, San Francisco

Holiday banners in downtown Berkeley

Cute little reindeer at the Holiday Fantasy In The Woods, Tilden Park, Berkeley

Holiday wreath, Old Sacaramento, California 2007



That's it for me... how about you? Did you play? If not there is still time. You can post your entry for up to one week from today, after that time the challenge will be closed. If you post an entry, be sure to come back and leave us your complete information. You can find all the details at the official Round Robin blog. :) Be sure to check on Sunday, for the announcement of an all new challenge topic!

Follow the LL to see what everyone else came up with! :)

Carly... Ellipsis
Posted!

Monica... Family Affair Photography


Karen... Outpost Mavarin
Posted!

Jama... Sweet Memories
Posted!

Martha... Menagerie


Marina... Milepebbles
Welcome New Member!

Sandra... Strong Chemistry


Suzanne R... Suzy Q421's Photo Blog
Posted!

Liz... Visual Counterpoint
Posted!

-rRose... Wait-NOTYET-MOUNTAIN RIVER WHISPERS


Connie... Far Side Of Fifty Photos
Posted!

Wammy... The Ellis Family Cincinnati
Posted!

Sherrie... Sherrie's Stuff
Posted!

Marie... Photographs & Memories
Posted!

Valerie... Rosemary's Other Baby
Welcome New Member!

Gattina... Keyhole Pictures
Posted!

Teena... It's all about me!
Posted!

Terri... Ways I See The World
Posted!

Kathee... Docu-diem
Posted! **Welcome New Member**

Happy Holidays Everyone! :)


"The Big Red Christmas Bulb"
San Francisco, California
December 11th, 2008
Noon

12 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Wow! I love the ornament in the first pic!

I played too :)

Suzanne R said...

You captured some wonderful holiday venues! The big ornament is stunning, and the tree very festive. I don't know why my town couldn't do something but thankfully the nearby community did. Tomorrow, we may be decorated with snow!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is one awesome big red ornament! Your photos are always perfection! Well if it snows in the mountains, you can enjoy it from afar! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful festive photos! I love the giant red ball!
Thank you for stopping by my blog :-).

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I so wish I could walk or drive around the Bay Area with you - the place is always full of beautiful things for your camera and her artist's eye to capture. Ah, maybe someday!

Gattina said...

San Fransico in Christmas decoration ! How lovely ! I was there in summer of course, lol !

fdtate said...

Some great photos here, Carly. I would especially like to see the giant Christmas ornaments in person.

Liz said...

The reflection of the buildings in the giant bauble does indeed smile and so did I :)

Jan AKA Wammy said...

All great shots but my favorite is the last...love the red and green with the brincks and wood.

Martha said...

Great shots Carly! I like the first one best, that's really unique. I signed up to play this week but don't think I'm going to make it this time.

Terri said...

I love that mega-ornament!

Thanks for commenting on my entry. I must say, you are the best challenge host! Between this and the Monday shoot, you're always there with comments - I appreciate that!

I keep meaning to respond to a couple of your posts about things political/economic, but haven't had time. Now that I'm essentially snowed in though...

Happy holidays!
Terri

MariesImages said...

I just love the Big Red Christmas Ball!!! Very cool subject & image~
Marie