Thursday, September 19, 2024

Saying Goodbye To Summer

 

“Nothing ever really goes away--it just changes into something else. Something beautiful.”

~Sarah Ockler
 
On one of the last nights of seeing the bats fly from underneath the Franklin blvd bridge, a single crispy brown cottonwood leaf feel gently onto the wall next to me. There was a stunning sunset, and a few early bats were flying about, which all made for quite a magical night. With the night coming sooner, and the bat population waning, and a dry leaf, it was apparent it was the end of summer. I didn't need a calendar, because autumn was mostly in the air, but celebrating it early just seems wrong this year, so I held onto the photo until now. I am not feeling rushed the way I have in the past. Dylan's passing made me realize just how fast 16 years goes by. Don't take any single day for granted. Anyway, this is my tribute to the end of summer. It was hot this summer. Really hot. But here, in the last days, the temperature has turned and I have an extra blanket standing by. If I had to lose my boy, I am glad he left me in summer. You see, I need fall this year to be a gentle distraction. My grief is deep, and the election is coming, and there is a lot to unpack about everything, but for now, I am living in this moment. One moment at a time. One emotion at a time. One broken heart at a time.


The very first, Leaf Of The Day, photo posts on Sunday! Don't forget!
 



No comments: