Friday, November 03, 2023

The Art Of Turning Over New Leaves

 

“There is October in every November and there is November in every December! All seasons melted in each other’s life!”
 
~Mehmet Murat ildan
 

In late spring, we begin to see pheasant, quail and turkeys, all over the valley but they are at their loveliest when I see them running through the vineyards and orchards.Their feathers remind me of the rows autumn leaves they're are moving in and out of. I don't even know how many times we have just stopped and watched them! This particular group stays near the vineyards off Franklin blvd, in Galt. It sits about 500 feet from the bridge where I went to observe the Mexican Free-tailed bat, late last summer. The two more than likely have nothing to do with each other, but it's a fun coincidence that there is so much life right there. It's also the area where I spotted a large group of swallows last spring, and the Bullocks orioles in early summer. There is something for everyone right there, and just a few hundred yards up the road from there is the visitors center at the Cosumnes River. And if that isn't enough beauty my new friend, Boris the Spider, built a really nice mansion for himself, just about 3 miles northeast of this spot, although I am afraid he has moved on.
 

As I said a few posts back, I haven't seen him in weeks, all that's left is a few heavy silver strands of spider silk. The cold was probably getting to him, same as it's getting to me. Or maybe a bird swooped him up and had a snack of him. I don't want to ponder the situation too much. I am happy to believe he is merely at his winter home, lazing by the pool, and I will see him again next April, when the earth turns once again to the warmth of spring and summer. Yes, Autumn has sent him off to simply live in the moment among different leaves. Autumn is teaching me to live in the moment as well. I guess I'm turning over a new leaf, and as turning over new leaves go... living in the moment feels a lot healthier than setting rigid expectations and goals for myself. I mean who thought a year ago that not only would I make a spider friend, but would be waiting for summer to come back around so we could visit one another again? Thank you, Autumn!



 

No comments: