Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Swainson's Thrush (Russet-Backed) And Ginko

 

 
"Season of mist and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with hum how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells."
 
~John Keats
Complete Poems And Selected Letters
 
I have to keep reminding myself that we are in December! Honestly, it feels much more like November, than any December I can remember. Most days have been in the mid-60's and overnight hours about the low to mid-50's. As a consequence of that, there is some fire danger here in California. I spoke a little about how the fire season has been extended in recent years, by several months, but I was hoping at the time it would be declared over, long before now. Sadly, it looks like it will, in fact, remain in the red zone until the end of this month. There is a small chance of rain, but I don't think it will be enough to change the forecast as far as fire season goes.
 
It's very sad. I am praying for rain after the first of the year, to get a possible running start on the fire season of 2021, which will begin in March. Who knows what the temperatures will be by then. It kinda feels like California may not see another normal seasonal year. According to the Los Angeles Times, August, September and October, of 2020, were the hottest on record. That was easy to believe, judging by the lack of moisture in most of the leaves I collected, regardless of species. It's apparent, Climate Change will only continue to progress, and I can see the possibility that California could become unliveable within my lifetime. It's heartbreaking. Hopefully, the incoming Biden administration will be able to finally put some science, and of course, federal funds, into fighting the effects of Climate Change in not just California, but the other western states facing as much tragedy as we have.  

Autumn comes to an end in just a couple weeks, and it has me thinking about what it will be like next year. The ecosystem is changing so much, I wonder how things have already changed when it comes to the migratory path of the beautiful birds I am just beginning to get to know. What about the creepy crawlies? 5 or 10 years from now, will we be overrun with different bugs we haven't had in California, or at least not in this part of California? I'd rather not have that, particular if the birds begin a different migratory pattern. I am trying to not put too much thought into the possibilities and the what-ifs, but I am continuing to do my part. In fact, Alan suggested the other day, that we start taking a garbage bag with us, when we go to the wetland's to bird watch, because there always seems to be some amount of discarded items, ranging from aluminum cans, to masks, and we need to do more than our part if folks are going to be that damn careless, selfish and ignorant. 


Ginko 




 
 
 ~Carly
December 8th 2020
Stockton, California
 

No comments: