Sunday, September 13, 2020

Nuttall's Woodpecker


"Say the truth again and again so that the tedious can grip it.
 Say the truth again and again in the speed of drilling
 in the tree trunks by woodpeckers beak."

~Unknown


Vacation begins in just a little less than a month, so it is time to get in some practice with the camera, and Friday was my first day to get on it. Because of the thick smoke, I couldn't be out as long as I wanted to be, unfortunately, but while I was out I made the most of it. I found some new leaves by Humphrey's College, and this great, Nuttall's Woodpecker, hugging a tree in Victory Park. Well, actually Alan spotted him first, and then shared with me. I wouldn't have seen him at all, if it had just been me, he blended with the tree really well, and his red crown was not as bright as I have seen on other birds. This was also the smallest woodpecker I have ever seen, but it sure is a beauty. It's just under 7 inches long, and has a slender body. I only managed a couple shots of him, before he was on his way across the park. He's an interesting little creature, see the link below if you would like to learn about him. I usually wait until it's officially autumn before I do posts about birds, but in that I found a new one, I suppose it's close enough. I'm happy. So far things are off to a good start for this year.



All About Birds 

~Carly
September 14th 2020
Stockton, California

No comments: