Monday, September 14, 2020

Gladys And Friends On Ashby


"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.
 It is the fundamental emotion that stands
 at the cradle of true are and true science."

~Albert Einstein
The World As I See It

Remember Gladys? Gladys and I go way back. We made friends back in 2014, while I was stopped in traffic on Ashby avenue, in Berkeley, California. I had just finished with a therapy appointment, and was on my way to do errands in the East Bay, when I looked over, and there she was! As I explained in the original post, I had probably passed her a thousand times, without ever realizing she was there! I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time to notice that tucked back from the road, ever so slightly, was this beautiful lady and some of her friends. Not doing much of anything, just waiting for a slightly sad, perhaps a bit lonely neurotic lady to stop in traffic long enough to notice her.

I don't think her name is actually Gladys, that's just what I call her. While I was studying her that day, that name just came to me, and we have been friends ever since. Eventually I took up politely waving when I passed her coming into or leaving town. I enjoyed doing that. It was a landmark in town that made me feel safe, and comfortable, even downright happy sometimes. She is a cool piece of art, watching over the road, and she is all the beauty and mystery that art should be.

There is some paper attached to the little building that she shares with her friends, but I have deliberately chosen to avoid reading it to see if her real name and story is there. I kind of like things as they are. She's a cool pal, and I like thinking of her that way. I miss Berkeley so much that it makes my heart hurt sometimes, but I look forward to seeing Gladys wherever I visit, and I know she will be right there when I come home. She continually inspires me to look a little deeper at all the places I photograph. What if there are more out there like her, and I simply missed them over the years? Nah... she's clearly an original, but I still find myself looking deeper into the big picture, and for that I am grateful to Gladys and her friends on Ashby, in Berkeley, California.




See you again soon, Gladys!

~Carly
September 14th, 2020
Stockton, California


 

No comments: