Friday, September 11, 2020

Cottonwood Leaves And 9/11

"Only with a leaf, can I talk of the forest."

~Visnar Zhiti
The Condemned Apple: Selected Poetry

I know what the day is, it's 9/11.

 I have posted a remembrance of those lost, September 11th 2001, on this blog for years. David and Lynn Angell are, of course, in my thoughts, as are other's lost that day, but I think this year I am going to remember and reflect in private. I will speak about why, in time, maybe after November 3rd, but this year, for the first time, I just want to be thankful to those we lost that day by remembering in silence. I will also be remembering John Ritter, lost to us on September 11th, 2003. He was brilliant, and I still miss him so much.


For this post I thought I would share two beautiful leaves I found in the yard Wednesday. Cottonwood is quickly becoming one of my favorite leaves to photograph in autumn. While they don't have an especially striking color, as some leaves in autumn do, they are a deep green until autumn, when they turn a pretty lemon color, the tree is fairly interesting and the lemon color is quite pretty. As the leaf ages on the ground it becomes a light brown/red in color. As it becomes more brittle, they tend to get a lacy appearance. It's a beautiful leaf in it's own way, and I am happy to have been able to learn about more about the leaf and tree. I am probably going to feature the Cottonwood as my first, Leaf Of The Day, for this year's project. It would make sense, in that I have one next door that provides me with so many leaves to choose from. 

We'll see.

 ~Carly
September 11th, 2020
Stockton, California

No comments: