Friday, January 11, 2008

Karen's Weekend Assignment #198: What Is Your Favorite Thing About Winter

"Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter. Who would think that those branches would turn green again and blossom. But we hope for it, we know it."

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Weekend Assignment #198: What is your favorite thing about winter? Whether you love this time of year, hate it, or merely endure it, you should be able to find something good to say about the season. What is it?

Extra Credit: What do you hate most about winter?

-Karen Funk Blocher

Winter is beautiful, and a bit challenging to this amateur photographer. :) The natural lighting can be hard to find through the puffy white clouds and foggy mist which tends to haunt us up here in the hills, but that in itself is part of the beauty of the season. I love watching the fog wafting up into the hills, and seeing the slow moving clouds dance around the bay. :) It's also the perfect time for cuddling up with Alan and Elvis. Big fluffy pillows and warm chenille throws make for a pleasant afternoon! If I do venture out, I usually look for my beautiful Snowy Egrets, which wear their winter plumage about this time of year, and I also look about for the first of the spring blossoms, which always appear in winter first. It can be a spectacular time of year, if the conditions are right. The camera can really bring winter's natural beauty to light!

Have a look see...

San Francisco On A Winter Day

Snowy Egret With Winter Plumage

Snowy Egret on the left, Great Egret on the right.

Daisy In January

Great Egret In Flight

Beautiful, Perfect Winter Bloom

Early Winter Blossom

Extra Credit: Well, hate is a strong word. I don't think there is anything all that negative about the season from my perspective. My hands hurt pretty bad, due to my Fibromyalgia, sometimes in winter, and I am not happy about that, but I don't really hate it. It's just something I must endure. That's life I guess. :)

-OndineMonet
"Winter Photos 2007"
Bay Area

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I love your egrets, especially the one in flight! The flowers are excellent, too, especially that last one with all the colors.

Fog and cuddling - I would never have thought of those, but you're right. Well done!