Saturday, January 20, 2024

Autumn, But Winter Also

 
“It looked like the world was covered in a cobbler crust
 of brown sugar and cinnamon.” 

~Sarah Addison Allen,
 
 I know, I know, I have used that quote, perhaps more than once, during the last autumn season, but what can I say, it applies! And it should come as no surprise that if there is autumn to be found, I will be there, camera in hand. And I am happy! But, oh my, the beauty of winter when you live on the delta! I love all the shadows and reflections, the boats also. It's so great when there is something of both seasons to focus on and appreciate at the same time. I wish I had seen the beauty of Smith Canal sooner. I posted photos from the canal a while back, and I hope to combine some birding with canal photos this spring. Spring isn't my favorite time of year, but I like blossoms and flowers, so perhaps I will be a bit more open minded about turning them into subjects for my photography. Hey, letting my imagination lead the way is how I found the amazing spider, Boris, and also the fun of the Mexican Free-tailed bat of summer. 


Winter On The Delta
Smith Canal 
Louis Park/Pixie Woods
Stockton, Ca
Jan 18th 2024
 
“I love to watch the fine mist of the night come on,
The windows and the stars illumined, one by one,
The rivers of dark smoke pour upward lazily,
And the moon rise and turn them silver. I shall see
The springs, the summers, and the autumns slowly pass;
And when old Winter puts his blank face to the glass,
I shall close all my shutters, pull the curtains tight,
And build me stately palaces by candlelight.”
 
~Charles Baudelaire
 

 

 
 

No comments: