Friday, October 27, 2023

Goodnight, Dear Boris The Spider!

 

“There is so much beauty in autumn and so much wisdom;
 so much separation and so much sorrow!” 
 
~Mehmet Murat ildan 
 

I met, Boris The Spider, just a about a month ago and funny thing, I thought we would be old and dear friends for at least a few more weeks, if not until winter officially begins in December, but I am afraid he has moved on... or perhaps... died. I haven't seen him in a couple weeks. We have strayed into the cold part of autumn, as evidenced by the fresh blankets on my bed, and there is snow in the western Sierra, making it necessary for me to finally put on one of my favorite cardigans.
 
 The weather makes me think its perhaps too cold for dear Boris, or maybe he made a tasty appetizer for one of the new birds that has migrated in over the last couple weeks. Sigh. Either way, he is gone I fear. I am mourning his absence, which is a strange feeling for a girl with a lifelong fear of spiders. All that's left of his once great spider mansion, is a few silky strands that can only be seen when they catch  the warm autumn light just right. And that's not a very good sign either.
 
 So when I saw this silky spider balloon orb the other day, I had to wonder if Boris knew there was a new tenant, or tenants, about to hatch in his blackberry bush? Boris seemed like a good sort, so maybe he wouldn't be too upset that someone chose his blackberry bush to make a home. Hell, maybe he is keen for some company... some companionship. Maybe he ordered tiny spiders, so he could pass on his wisdom to a new generation of creepy crawlers. I sure hope so, Airbnb situations can be tricky things. There is nothing like taking a vacation, only to come home to squatters living in your web!
 
Goodnight, Boris The Spider, thanks for being so nifty!
 



No comments: