Sunday, October 09, 2022

Name That Bird! And Autumn Leaf #18


 "I look. There it is. I feel it. The insistent pull to the heart that the hawk brings, that very old longing of mine to possess the hawk's eye. To live the safe and solitary life; to look down on the world from a height and keep it there. To be the watcher; invulnerable, detached, complete. My eyes fill with water. Here I am, I think And I do not think I am safe."

~Helen McDonald
 

Isn't that bird magnificent? That is a red-tailed hawk. They live throughout the Central Valley, so finding them is not difficult. At all. The problem is, lots of hawks in the valley look very similar to each other, especially as they mature. So, it helps to have the right guides for learning about the birds. Currently I own the, Audubon Field Guide To Birding (Western Edition) and the Sibley Birds West. I purchased the Sibley guide just this past week, and I have already fallen in love with it's gorgeous illustrations. Audubon has a unique layout that I enjoy, and it's color photographs are great for IDing.With the two guides, I am hoping to do a lot better when it comes to cataloging.



~Me
 
 

No comments: