Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Photo A Day For 6 Months: Day 108~ The Ghost Of An Unremarkable Day



"It occurred to me that if I were a ghost, this ambiance was what I'd miss most; the ordinary, day to day bustle of the living. Ghosts long, I'm sure, for the stupidest, most unremarkable things."

~Banana Yosimoto, The Lake

I love the unremarkable. I like shadows, and soft light. I love average faces, because they seem to be more honest than ones of full beauty or handsomeness. It's not the fault of the beautiful or handsome, it's just that I think after a while they develop a deep need to stay perfect, instead of allowing soft forming lines from laughter, or consideration tell the tale of a season in a lifetime.

The other day I came across this photograph, buried deep in a forgotten archive. I captured the ghost, on a late October evening, in the southern Sierra in 2004. The day had been unseasonably warm, and the luminance of the day was quietly slipping away, allowing the inevitable darkness to shroud the horizon, but it was the time of day that the unremarkable sometimes becomes the fantastic by way of shadows formed by the light of a setting simple autumn sun.

In a few moments, the spirit of the treeline of common trees in the Sierra would be gone, and the whole scene would be replaced by a common darkness. It felt a little like I was seeing watching a ghost dancing toward tomorrow. An unremarkable, fleeting, restless, illumination of energy that can't, and won't, go on forever no matter how much we wish it would, pray it would, or dream it should.What you are seeing in this photo, is the ghost of an unremarkable day, still haunting my imagination.

"I don't suppose you have to believe in ghosts to know that we are all haunted, all of us, by things we can see and feel and guess at, and many more things we can't."

~Beth Gutcheon, More Than You Know

~Me

Today's Link...

JR
http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/08/apadf6-106.html






1 comment:

jr cline said...

I like the ghostly picture and the blog you wrote about the ghost in our world and lives. I know I am haunted and it's ok.

Link: http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/08/apadf6-108.html