Thursday, September 03, 2009

"In What Respect Charlie?"

From For Ellipsis


"Though it be honest, it is never good to bring bad news."

-William Shakespeare

Sigh.

I knew this day would come, but I kinda hoped it wouldn't. See, while I hate getting bad news, if I have to, then at least when Charlie Gibson reported it, it was a little easier to take. I felt sad yesterday, when he announced his planned retirement for the end of this year. His evening, World News Tonight, broadcast has been a part of my life for quite a while now, and I still have fond memories of Elvis settling down when he heard his voice, almost as if he understood the news. I don't know, maybe it was the sound of Gibson's voice that Elvis appreciated. Who knows. What I do know is that at the end of each of his broadcasts, he would say, "I hope you had a good day," and somehow, it always felt like he meant it. I will miss that.

Sigh.

By the way, if you are wondering about the title of this entry, it comes from one of the most interesting moments from this past year. It is Sarah Palin's response, to the question Charles Gibson had just asked her... "Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?"



LOL... It seemed like such a simple, straight forward question. This was Palin's first real interview after she was chosen as John McCain's running mate. It told me all I needed to know! LOL. A true classic!

Thank you Charles Gibson. I will miss you!

-Carly

No comments: