I Stand With You...

I Stand With You...

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Pretty Wings

"Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."

-Deborah Chaskin

I know I always say this when I discover a new butterfly, but, isn't she beautiful? This is a female of the Mexican Bluewing, or Myscelia ethusa. It is a medium sized butterfly, which behaves a lot like the monarch, in that in flight they don't seem to move their wings as fast as some of the smaller butterflies do. While it is called a bluewing, the colored bands on the wings actually appear purple, rather then blue. I enjoyed watching it, and studying it the other day at the conservatory, in fact, I think it might make my list of personal favorite butterfly species to watch. I always learn something new from these amazingly beautiful creatures.

Additional photos...

Mexican Bluewing (Myscelia ethusa)

Learn about them here...

Bluewing Information

"Mexican Bluewing"
Conservatory of Flowers
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, California
September 3, 2008

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hey Carly girl,
Is it me, or does this butterfly (and many others I see) have a part missing from its wing? Is it from damage, or is it part of its wing from the start?
It is quite lovely. And I often think of you when I see lovely butterflies in my neck of the woods.