Thursday, September 04, 2008

Pretty Wings

"Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."

-Deborah Chaskin

I know I always say this when I discover a new butterfly, but, isn't she beautiful? This is a female of the Mexican Bluewing, or Myscelia ethusa. It is a medium sized butterfly, which behaves a lot like the monarch, in that in flight they don't seem to move their wings as fast as some of the smaller butterflies do. While it is called a bluewing, the colored bands on the wings actually appear purple, rather then blue. I enjoyed watching it, and studying it the other day at the conservatory, in fact, I think it might make my list of personal favorite butterfly species to watch. I always learn something new from these amazingly beautiful creatures.

Additional photos...

Mexican Bluewing (Myscelia ethusa)

Learn about them here...

Bluewing Information

-OndineMonet
"Mexican Bluewing"
Conservatory of Flowers
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, California
September 3, 2008
Afternoon

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hey Carly girl,
Is it me, or does this butterfly (and many others I see) have a part missing from its wing? Is it from damage, or is it part of its wing from the start?
It is quite lovely. And I often think of you when I see lovely butterflies in my neck of the woods.

xo,
Nance