Thursday, September 20, 2007

What A Mermaid's Autumn Day Must Be Like...

"You know you're in love, when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

-Dr. Seuss

I know, I know, technically it is still summer, but honestly, it was such a beautiful day yesterday. Cold air, windy, and the sun...oh my...the sun...was the most beautiful color. It was that golden color that you only see in autumn, when it seems like gold dust has settled on everything around you, and all you want to do is smile at every turn. God how I wish there really were such things as mermaids, because I swear that on days like yesterday, I would simply swim away to some far off place, all alone, and sleep on a wave. :) Just taking a walk near the water, makes all the stuff that hurts me simply drift away. It's been such a difficult year, but autumn, and the ocean creatures, heal and renew my tired soul. Ahhhhhhhh...

Who would be a mermaid fair?
Singing alone, combing her hair
Under the sea, in a golden curl
With a comb of pearl, on a throne?
I would be a mermaid fair;
I would sing to myself the whole of the day
With a comb of pearl I would comb my hair
And still as I comb I would sing and say
"Who is it loves me? Who loves me not?"

-Lord Alfred Tennyson


The Opaline, the plentiful and strong
Yet beautiful as in the rose in June
Fresh as the trickling rainbow of July
Sea full of food, the nourisher of kinds
Purger of earth, and medicine of men
Washing out harms and griefs from memory
And, in my mathematic ebb and flow
Giving a hint of that which changes not.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

-OndineMonet
"Ondine's Home"
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey, California
Late Summer, 2007
Afternoon

2 comments:

Nancy said...

What a beautiful post, dear Carly. The writing, the photos, the quotes...just perfect.

And who ever told you there weren't any mermaids anyway?

; )

Love,
Nance

Anonymous said...

absolutely beautiful Carly! love, natalie