Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Result Of The Trumpy Lumpy Winter Day Doldrums

"From December to March, there are for many of us three gardens: the garden outdoors, the garden of pots and bowls in the house, and the garden of the mind's eye."

~Katherine S. White

Last February, I decided to fight off the screaming Trumps, by venturing out with the camera. The world, after all, wouldn't end in the short amount of time it would take to drive around, and look for something, anything, that wasn't all about Trump! Or would it? Who knew, but I did know I needed a little while away from the crazy! As I sat behind the wheel of my car, I tried to think of one thing... just one thing... that he hadn't become completely, and irritatingly associated with! It has felt like he has insinuated himself into all aspects of day to day life, perverting most of them, but there had to be at least one thing that he hadn't managed to ruin! It took a moment, but then it occurred to me... flowers, yes, flowers... were the one thing he hadn't ruined for me!

But it was February! Where was I supposed to find flowers in February? I had a few roses by the garden fence, but they had a bit of winter chill burn on them. There were some silk flowers in my craft cabinet, but fake flowers, was a little too much like FAKE NEWS, to inspire any flight of fancy away from the topic I most wanted to ignore! What to do, what to do! Then I saw it, my neighbor's Magnolia tree was beginning to bloom, and the flowers were lovely! Eureka... there is my subject!

Did I mention while I sat in my car, contemplating which direction to go in, the sky opened up, and began to pour rain! The sky cried! Great, big, wet, tears of rain! Bigly! But not to fear, I simply picked up my Nikon, rolled the window down, and snapped away! I was photographing the Magnolias from a good distance, as it rained, and it was a bit foggy too, so the pictures didn't come out as nicely as I would have hoped for. The day I took them, I deemed them not worthy for posting, but upon a second look, I decided to work a little Photoshop magic, and enjoy them, and the memory of my day out of the Trumpy Lumpy winter day doldrums.

Thinking that my photos aren't good enough to post happens a lot. I put a ton of pressure on myself to get a preconceived end result with my photography, and when it isn't fully achieved, I let it sit in the file, until the end of the year when I have one last look with newly opened eyes. I like doing the occasional photo-shopped masterpiece, from photos gone astray. This year, I created a pretty nice Thanksgiving card, from a photograph that was less than perfect, and I got a couple complements on the artsy end result! And I also took a very blurry rural autumn country road scene, and turned it into an Impressionist painting! Again, with a few compliments.

The Magnolia in this post will probably be the last of the artistic disaster masters, for 2018. Well, at least I think it will be the last one, but who knows? There is always time for me to take my camera and veer off the rails again, but with a little luck, we will close out the "Oops Folder" with that pretty pink splash of late winter color! Imagine, beautiful shades of pink, against a deep blue cloudy sky! The only thing missing in the moment was New Age music, an aromatherapy machine, and a few well placed Omms.

Omm. Omm. OMM.

2018 Photo Editing Album






~Mood: Happy
~Me

No comments: