Monday, May 27, 2013

Art About Town: Oakland; Dandelion, By Karen Cusolito



"Art and love are the same thing: It's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you."

~Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself To Live: 85% Of A True Story

Yesterday, Memorial Day, is a perfect day for hunting down Public Art. The traffic is low, and their is very few people moving about, so unobstructed views of the art, makes the whole trip a much nicer experience. Although, sometimes I actually enjoy watching others enjoy the art along with me. I don't know... I guess it just all depends on my mood. Yesterday it was cloudy and on the verge of raining, which is my favorite kind of day. Clouds and mist do something to outdoor sculptures. To me it somehow inspires a deeper appreciation for sculpture. I am not sure why, but it does. I think I must have a bit if Lilly Munster in me. Give me a cloudy day, a picnic basket, and sculpture park, and I am one happy lady. Oh and of course... my cameras.



This sculpture, "Dandelion" by Karen Cusolito, was one of 9 sculptures that grace this temporary sculpture park, the Uptown ArtPark, at 19th and Telegraph avenue in Oakland. I was able to photograph all 9 sculptures in this exhibit, all by crafted by different local artists, and I will be posting the rest of them over the next few months, along with public art from various other Northern California cities. Even with the incessant sunshine, I can't think of a better way to spend a summer then by photographing beautiful public art.

Stay Tuned!

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: