Monday, March 24, 2008

Karen's Monday Photo Shoot: Non-Relatives

"Every day is an opportunity to make a new happy ending."

-Unknown

New Monday Photo Shoot #13: Photograph someone you're not related to, who nevertheless matters to you.

-Karen Funk Blocher, of the blog, Outpost Mavarin

I am still in the process of transferring my files from one computer to another, and I am a bit pressed for just the right photos for most of my entries these days, but when I thought about it, you don't have to have known someone long, or even really know them at all, to have them matter to you.

Alan and I met Joe Montana on our honeymoon. He and his family just happened to be visiting the same pumpkin patch on the same day we did. That encounter, however brief it was, started a tradition for us. Almost 18 years later, Alan and I have managed to meet a celebrity, of some sort, every year we have been married. Among them, Howard Stern, Regis Philbin, Mark Parent, Elvira, Helen Hunt, Barry Bonds, Dolly Parton, and an assortment of others. And it's always just fun. They matter to me, because it has always been a real stress buster, and I have to admit, it has made me a little less timid with the camera. Sometimes the encounters have been so brief that I have had to really think on my feet, in order to get the perfect shot. You may have seen this photo of Paula Poundstone on my blog before. It was taken at the Alameda County fair in June of 2000. She made me laugh out loud that day. I really needed that. She will always mean a lot to me for that alone. Thanks again Paula. :)

-OndineMonet
Paula Poundstone
Alameda County Fair
Pleasanton, California
June, 2000
Early Evening

3 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

It's a good candid portrait, and a classic shot to get a stand-up comedian standing up! I'm glad you got to meet her, and that she made you laugh. She's great on one of my favorite radio shows, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR. I always enjoy her quick wit on that show.

Kiva said...

You're right. There are some celebrities that matter to us. Paula is one of them. No one can deliver a howlingly funny punchline with such subtlety. I try to tune into Prairie Home Companion when she's on.

Anonymous said...

Neat story. You've been having a blogaton of your own here lately haven't you? We'll have a blogaton together while I'm on spring break :-)