Friday, December 22, 2017

Ding Dong Merrily On High


"When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things...not the greatest occasions... 
give off the greatest glow of happiness."

~Bob Hope

I haven't done any shopping for the holidays. Not for Christmas eve, not for Christmas Day. Not for New Year's Eve. Nothing. But later today, as I force myself out of the house, I will be doing just that! Shopping, with a few minutes, here and there, to catch my breath, and pray Trump doesn't declare war, or fire Mueller, or embarrass the United States, with some weird speech. All of which are pretty likely to happen! That's what's on my mind right now, and frankly, I am exhausted. Absolutely exhausted. Depression, fear and the holiday spirit, do not do well together. 

They are like water and oil, but I am pushing through it, and like one of the best therapists I ever had once said, "Doing normal things, makes you feel normal" and right now, that's all I really want, to feel normal again, by having a nice boring day, although I'd prefer to find a little something about the holidays, that makes me smile and feel happy inside, but boring works too. It's sounds easy enough, but at the moment, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! I guess I am feeling sorry for myself, because I want to enjoy the spirit of the holiday, but finding it is proving difficult.

But I'm trying to. I really am.  


I guess I will just see how the rest of the day goes, before I make up my mind that I won't feel any holiday spirit at all. You never know, perhaps hope is just waiting for me to recognize it. One never really knows about these things! Here is what I have planned for the day... I am getting my hair styled, then hit Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, for some organic roses and a couple pieces of fruit. Then it's off to the mall to do a small amount of gift shopping, and hopefully Alan and I will end the day in Berkeley at some of our favorite food haunts. 

Berkeley always lifts my spirits! So, at least I'm putting some hope on the "To Do" list! Now, I have learned that it's always a good idea to have a Plan B, and when it becomes obvious that Plan A isn't going to work, one should just go with the flow and not fight it. Some of my favorite memories worked around, Plan B, so, wish me luck as I venture out of the house, in search of Plan A... finding the spirit of Christmas!Either way the day goes, I will probably come home and watch Bridget Jones' Diary. It has become one of my favorite holiday movies, because what woman doesn't identify with Bridget, at least part of the time, and let's face it, the holidays are the most difficult time of the year to deal with!


But whether it be the holidays or some other difficult awful time
 Bridget always finds her way!




Mood: Curious
~Me :)

No comments: