Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Does The Truth Set You Free?



"Whether you live to be 50 or 100 makes no difference, if you made no difference in the world."

~Jarod Kintz, Great Listener Series Mute Women

BradleyManning.org

I spotted this poster in the Haight last week. I couldn't believe how effective it was at provoking my feelings of sympathy for Mr. Manning, as if I didn't already have a world of sympathy for him. I don't approve of how he has been treated by his own government. Yes, he is a whistle blower... a teller of truths... and what did he get for it? Certainly not a timely due process. Certainly not as much support from the general public as I would have expected. But that's the thing about the truth, along with the clear conscience, comes the responsibility, and the fact that some folks would just rather be lied to, as opposed to knowing the naked truth.

Quotes About Truth From Folks Smarter Than Me...

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
~George Orwell, 1984

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
~David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

"There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure truth."
~Maya Angelou

"Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it."
~Mark Twain

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."
~Oscar Wilde, The Importance Of Being Ernest

"Me occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
~Winston Churchill

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole."
~Malcolm X

Thoughts?


Mood: Reflective

~Me :)

No comments: