Monday, September 24, 2012

A Photo A Day For 6 Months: Day 136~ 6 Mondays Till Halloween



"Thin clouds form, and the shadows lengthen out. They have no breadth, as summer shadows have, there are no leaves on the trees or fat clouds in the sky to make the thick. They are gaunt, mean shadows that bite the ground like teeth. As the sun nears the horizon, its benevolent yellow begins to deepen, to become infected, until it glare an angry inflamed orange. It throws a variegated glow over the horizon."

-Stephen King, Salem's Lot

There's more to autumn than earth tones and falling leaves. There is my favorite holiday... Halloween. Including today, we have 6 Mondays to get through before the veil between this world and the next thins to a silky gossamer shadow, like the ghostly cobweb that you sometimes see floating on an invisible autumn breeze. October is a magical month. The light begins to dim, which can make one see things that may or may not be there. What better time to start a new photography project? So, this October, I thought I would finally do something I have always wanted to do... start a photo essay of Bay Area cemeteries.

I have written in stone, pun intended, my plan to do just that. I know some would find that a bit creepy but I have found cemeteries to be places of great comfort. Not that I want to move in or anything, but there is a lot of history to be learned there. I definitely don't fear cemeteries because more often then not, I have felt a different, personal kind of comfort I am thankful for.

The town of Colma, which is just south of San Francisco, is known as the "City of Souls. There is a  resident count of approximately 1600 above ground residents but a count of 1.5 million "souls" occupying the 16 cemeteries. I don't think I would enjoy being there in the event of a zombie apocalypse. LOL. Hey, it could be a thing, apparently the Office of Homeland Security is preparing for the possibility. LOL. So I can keep and open mind.

But Zombie Apocalypse aside, for a history buff like me, Colma, California, is a great source of inspiration. Among the permanent guests of the town are, Wyatt Earp. William Randolph Hearst. Joe DiMaggio. Levi Strauss and Emperor Norton. Emperor Norton... now there is a fascinating historical "soul." If you haven't heard of him, take a moment to read about him here. What a character!

Does it sound morbid that I am looking forward to just visiting as many cemeteries as I can on vacation? Perhaps. But at least I won't have to do too much waiting in line. Well, other than the line we are all waiting in anyway. So that will be one of my top projects in October, but I probably won't be in the cemetery on October 31st, well, if I can possibly help it, you know... just in case that whole Zombie Apocalypse is an actual thing. LOL.

What? It could happen!

;)

~Me :)

Today's Link...

JR
http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/09/apadf6-131.html



1 comment:

jr cline said...

The zombie apocalypse craze astounds me. I know a few people who take it seriously. (shaking head in disbelief). rofl
Like you said...'it could happen'. Anything can and often does.
Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico...awesome!!!! I love it!
I like the cemetery project. Maybe you can get s shot of the Emperor Norton's headstone and see if it is really true there is one next to it for Her Royal Majesty, Empress of San Francisco, José I, The Widow Norton.

Link: http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/09/apadf6-132.html

If I think of a challenge, I'll let you know.