Thursday, December 14, 2023

An Afternoon With A Green Heron And His Friend


“I tell myself relationships are hard work. No one is perfect.
 There's no such thing as happily ever after.” 

Laura Nowlin,
 
 

I met this guy at the Clifton Court Forebay the other day. I went there to search for ducks and grebes, and I found some, but not in any great numbers. All I saw was a couple Bufflehead and some Ring-necked ducks. There was a few Egrets, but nothing in any great numbers. So I was pleasantly surprised when this gorgeous little bird flew over, and began fishing along the rocks. After a few minutes of searching he found a snack, and as intrigued and impressed as I was, I found I was equally sad for the poor little fish that was about to be swallowed whole. None of it gets any easier. Go for birding with the camera, hoping for an interesting photo that highlights a bird's life, and you many very well come home with beautiful but depressing photo of how all life really works. If only all animals, sea life, and birds were vegetarians! But then again, my friend Boris The Spider would end up a lot bigger! 
 




The Green Heron wasn't the only one fishing that day...
 
Western Grebe and it's lunch of Black Bass

 
What a day at the Clifton Court Forebay!
 
 "Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?”
 
~Robert Frost,
 

 

No comments: