Friday, December 18, 2020

Mid-Century Judgement Call

 


"By late autumn the yard would grow thick with fallen leaves causing the landlady to heave many deep sighs."
 
~Takashi Hiraide
The Guest Cat
 
I love seeing big piles of leaves. I know. I know, not if I had to rake them up. True, it would be some work, I'm not disputing that. And yes, I have some physical challenges now that would make that difficult, but it wouldn't be impossible, and I know my mood would be improved daily, just by having fully blooming autumn trees in the yard! I say it every year, but I really want to plant some trees this year. I really want that promise of beauty all my own. The only challenge to doing so, is availability of the trees. Open nurseries, and of course, money to do it all right! If there is a Santa Claus, he will slip a great big Lowe's gift card in my sock. Shrug. I can remember when I requested Boyd's Teddy Bears. LOL. I think that was about five years ago.
 
Anyway, about the sign. I have passed it many times on my way around Stockton, and it always makes my head tilt, because it reminds me of the lines in lettering from mid-century signs I have been collecting, and it has the colors, although they photographed a bit different here, but it gives me pause because it's not really perfect. Like maybe it's more of a, in the style of, as opposed to genuine mid-century signage. Shrug. I don't know. I have no real way of knowing when that particular shopping center was established. I assume it was at about the same time that my home was built, which was in 1962, the same year as my birth. In fact, my house has only had three owners, including us, and it was sold to the first owner, on my birthday in 1962! That's how I know there are not nearly enough trees in the yard, this place was meant to be mine one day. I'm going with the sign, but I will still continue to search for information, because sometimes you accidentally come across other amazing facts about stuff, so it's all good!
 
 

 
~Carly
Stockton, California
December 18th 2020
 

No comments: