Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Flying About The Earth

 

"Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love... that makes life and nature harmonize. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one's very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
 
~George Eliot
George Eliot's Life As Related In Her Letter And Journals
Volume #1
 
 
 This has been one of the warmest Thanksgivings I can remember. I don't know if that is a good thing, considering Climate Change, but it's nice for doing landscape and wildlife photography. I have some new subjects, so my body is grateful for the temperatures, although ever since I was a child I have hoped for cold, ideally rainy, Thanksgivings. Doesn't Thanksgiving dinner taste better when it's cold and raining outside? Just like in the summertime I like to put on the air conditioner and climb under a blanket. I'm just wired weird I think. Sunny California gets boring, particularly after summers that don't seem to end. Why does autumn go by so fast, but summer sometimes seems to never end? Just one more thing to ponder I suppose.


~Carly
Stockton, California
November 25th 2020


No comments: