Wednesday, November 04, 2020

1 In 10,000


 "Summer rushes in on the heels of spring, eager to take her turn; and then she dances with wild abandon. But the time soon comes when she gratefully falls, exhausted and sated, into the auburn arms of autumn."

~Cristen Rodgers
 


Earlier this year I spotted my very first black squirrel. A black squirrel is actually a gray squirrel, with different pigmant, but it is fairly rare, especially in California. That has been 2020. Lots of strange surprises and twists of nature. This one was at least a pleasant surprise, I think. They are rare in California, and this is the second I have seen in the same year, and it was in a neighborhood on the other side of Stockton. Black squirrels are about 1 in 10,000, so I am not sure what to think. I have seen the devastating effects of climate change on California in recent years. The extended fire season. The decline of the Monarch's at California sanctuaries. It is going to give me something to study this winter, when it will just be too cold to do much photography outside. I am looking forward to that. In addition to learning more about these squirrels, I also happened to spot a new bird in the East Bay that I haven't seen before, more on that later, so I have several topics to learn about. Vacation is almost over, and it will be nice to spend some time doing research into how California, and the nation, has changed in recent years, speciffically in regards to animal and bird life.

Note: If you are wondering about my thoughts on the election, it will all just have to wait. History and I will document things in their time. It's out of my hands. There is a strong chance that it will be several days before we finally know for sure, and that's if we aren't otherwise distracted by civil war. If I sound like I don't care... no... I do... but I just want to think about the squirrels. And the rest of my vacation. But I will say something when the time is right.
 
 

 ~Carly
Stockton, California
November 4th 2020


No comments: