Saturday, October 10, 2020

A Life Lived In Autumn

 

"She embodied all the melancholy of autumn. She has learned to cherish with mournful tenderness of a past she dares not remember."

Renee Vivien

A Woman Appeared To Me

A few days ago, I stepped onto the porch, to fetch the mail, when I noticed this beautiful moth resting on the support beam that is closest to the mailbox. It was so tiny, less than the size of a dime, that I am surprised that I actually saw it. But there it was, the little spot of absolute beauty. Of all the moths and butterflies I have photographed, this one, the Wavy-lined Emerald moth, is certainly one of the most unique, and photogenic. The shade of green is breathtaking, and the white lines and the fringe remind me of a dress from the Art Deco era. The little winged friend stayed for a couple days, but by yesterday it was gone. Its made me a little sad, because I enjoyed meeting it, and learning about what its about, but I suppose it was ready to off and enjoy autumn. The life span of butterflies and moths is so short, but that amazing creature was lucky enough to live it's whole life in autumn. I think I am, perhaps, a bit jealous, but also happy that I met a little bit of autumn magic this week.

 

 






~Carly

October 10th 2020

Stockton, California


No comments: