Saturday, September 26, 2020

It Was August Two Weeks Gone

 

"The grass in the back field was almost waist high, and now there was goldenrod, that late summer gossip which comes to tattle on autumn every year. But there was no autumn in the air today; the sun was still all August, although calendar August was almost two weeks gone."

~Stephen King

Pet Cemetery

Of all the authors who have ever lived, I think Stephen King might understand autumn more completely than any than any other I can think of. The way it tastes, the way it has a way of stealing your last breath with it's beauty, and the way it can scare you. I photographed those beautiful ducks on September 11th, with the air so full of smoke that had drifted from the many wildfires, I could barely breathe, but there were those gorgeous creatures, minding their own business, without any real cares. I had a nice time with them. I knew things would improve, and they have, considerably, but this weekend is supposed to see higher temperatures, and winds, as it does in autumn, which is bringing renewed worries of more fires erupting.

 Fire season doesn't end now until December, ten years ago it was late October. The Earth is pissed, and frankly, so am I. I am sick of Republicans pretending Climate Change isn't real, but what can I do when a good part of the voting block would rather clutch their pearls over the irrational fear of losing their guns, then care the Earth is dying. All I, as one person, can do, is keep separating my plastic and aluminum, cut plastic can separators, and throw away as little trash as possible whenever possible, but I'll keep praying for the birds, butterflies, and the vegetation in California. In another decade, should we last that long, it's possible to see fire season not have a begin or end date, it will just be a constant threat. Autumn won't just be scary, for the chills of Halloween and the fun of being scared for the fun of it, it will be scary because it won't actually exist anymore.


~Carly

September 26th 2020

Stockton, California



No comments: