Thursday, September 17, 2020

Find The Spider 2020 Edition

"the spider's web: She finds an innocuous corner in which to spin her web. The longer the web takes, the more fabulous it's construction. She has no need to chase. She sits quietly, her patience a consummate force; she waits for her prey to come to rendering them unable to escape. Spiders... so needed and yet so misunderstood."

~Donna Lynn Hope 


 I think it might become a new element of my autumn posts, to include a "Find The Spider" post. Do you see the pretty little spider in the picture above? I didn't when I took this photo, but sure enough, there it was when I went to do the editing. The lighting outside is mostly orange, because of the wildfires, so I could have missed it because of that, or maybe it was just that tiny, but this makes the third year in a row I have spotted a spider lurking in one of my leaf photos. Maybe it's a cosmic sign that I need to be more careful while doing photos, which makes sense, because in all the years I have been doing photography seriously, I don't remember enountering as many spiders as I have in the last three years.

I don't like spiders... at all... which is why I haven't done ANY research into why I seem to see more of them during this time of year, but I do know that in some places in California, and some parks, it's strongly discouraged to interfere with tarantulas during October, when they mate. Ugh. Mating spiders. What might that romance be like? Can you imagine a boy spider, looking at a female spider and thinking, "My, my, look at the legs on that lady!" I suppose most boy spiders are leg men. Oh well, who am I to knock romance? Maybe, someday, when Hollywood runs out of love stories for humans, they will take on the spider world. "... And I looked across a crowded web, and there she was, a lady with multiple beautiful legs, she's the lady spider for me!" Ugh. But hey, at least they add a little interesting extra to my photographs, and they are a hell of a challenge!




~Carly
September 16th 2020
Stockton, California
 

No comments: