Monday, December 09, 2019

The Autumn Migration Of The Cedar Waxwing

"In autumn, the entire backyard became a mass of lollipop yellow leaves, so bright they lit up the night like daylight. Birds nesting in the trees would get confused because they couldn't tell what time of day it was, and they would stay awake for days until they dropped out of the branches with exhaustion."

~Sarah Addison Allen
The Peach Keeper


I found a new bird in my yard last night. Meet the Cedar Waxwing! They are tiny colorful birds, with white and peach colors on the head and breast, and dark gray and almost purple on the head and back, and red at the tip of the winds, but a splash of bright yellow at the very tips of their short tails. Absolutely gorgeous! They had a short, soft chirp, which I found rather pleasing.They were nesting in the tree top in my next door neighbors yard, so I wasn't able to get as close as I wanted to. My photos DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE! So, cross your fingers for me, that I will get some more practice in over the next few days. They are definitely migrating, as they already have their winter plumage on. Autumn is getting sleepy, we had a cold storm this past weekend, my beautiful leaves are getting more and more difficult to find, and there are new types of birds, stopping by to say hello, on their way to a warm bird resort for the winter. My heart is breaking. But my camera is happily imagining how Winter will inspire!

 

Read about this amazing bird here... Cedar Waxwing 
 (Audubon Guide to North American Birds)

#78 Leaf Of The Day
December 9th 2019
Nevada City, California
Nikon

 ~Mood: Happy
~Me   :)

No comments: