Sunday, December 08, 2019

November Shadows

"The canopy of the woods was spread out beneath me and
 it looked as if autumn had taken a great torch to the trees,
 burnishing them gold, red and bronze."

~Kate Morton
The Distant Hours
 
November is my favorite month to work with shadows. The sun seems to be at it's harshest, probably because sometimes the cold hasn't quite caught up with autumn, or the date on the calendar. November can be bone chilling or, by contrast, it can make for the last remaining days of shorts weather. On that particular day in November, we were just a little over the halfway point for the month, and it was warm, with almost no breeze. The trees next to the Crocker Museum were full and wild with color, but the afternoon sun was harsh and demanding. I didn't stay long, but while I was there I enjoyed playing with the available light, and was mostly pleased with the results.

Sometimes when you are out with the camera, and enjoying yourself, you feel like you had your best day ever for photography, then when you get home, and upload your work for editing, you feel a lot different, like you just wasted an entire afternoon. There is a lot of pressure to put on ones self when it comes to taking a good photo, and I am admittedly, my own worst critic. That particular day was a mixed bag, I did okay, but  I wish I had done great. I did a self portrait in shadows and while it's not my best, I have an area now to fine tune. A place to grow in the shadows. Background, foregrounds, textures, natural filters. Steven always gave me such good advice for fine tuning things. I miss my friend a lot.


#77 Leaf Of The Day
December 8th 2019
Orinda California
Nikon


~Mood: Happy
~Me   :)

No comments: