Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Art About Town: Berkeley "Earthsong For Berkeley" By Po Shu Wang

"One ought, ever day at least, to hear a little song, 
read a good poem, see a fine picture,
 and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship

I know, I know... it was only a week ago when I did an Art About Town post, but I have been busy, working on a couple projects that I will be showing off soon, but for now, I did an updated photo of another piece of art that sits along Shattuck avenue... "Earthsong For Berkeley" by artist Po Shu Wang. This piece is amazing, not just because it looks like a giant tuning fork, it's special because it actually is a giant tuning fork! It's interactive in that there is a small bell, at the bottom of it, that when rang, produces a particularly lovely sound. Unfortunately this piece was recently vandalized, and the original sound is no longer available.

 It's a shame when any piece of art is destroyed. Art can be such an amazing learning, and healing influence in life. I can only imagine the tortured soul that would do something like that. It's so unbelievably sad. I truly believe that art in school is a very important part of a child's development, and maybe if there was more money going to that purpose, children would be able to express themselves in less destructive ways. I was so thankful when I grew up for all the teachers who had encouraged me to pickup a crayon, or a drawing pencil and, of course, my camera. I have done a lot of healing through my photography. I will always be thankful for that, and for each piece of public art that I am able to photograph, and see in person! 

 To read more about Earthsong For Berkeley, click here.

Mood: Inspired

~Me :)



No comments: