Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Photo A Day For 6 Months: Day 96~ If It Makes You Happy



"It is the hour of pearl... the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."

~John Steinbeck

Photo: Bixby Creek Bridge, Monterey, Ca.

This is the second time in a very short time that I find myself quoting John Steinbeck. I think there is someone telling me to do a lot more photos in the Monterey/Carmel area. I think I will l listen to that someone, because lets face it, I love it there. But then again, speaking truthfully... I love all of Northern California. 

A couple weeks ago, or so, I shared about the stars of the Bravo series, The Real Housewives Of New Jersey, having visited Half Moon Bay, on their vacation on the way to Napa. The show was filmed late last summer or early fall, which would have been an absolutely ideal time to have seen the best of the Pacific coastline, but alas it all seems to have gotten lost in their own egos and backstabbing snobbery.

I once heard a description of what reality TV really is. The opinion was that it all amounted to... Human Cockfighting. I have never thought about it that way, because reality TV has many different versions of life and whats real. It might all be about finding the perfect recipe. But it might also be about who gets kicked off the island first. But then again it might just be about all centered around beating out 25 other humans to find the love of your life by getting the last rose.

Barf. I would rather get a hemorrhoid.

But I can't say I am totally immune to the reality TV phenomena. Nope. I watch. I am not always sure why I watch. I had been a huge fan of the Real Housewives of... and I enjoyed watching the ladies interactions, well until last year, when I woke up to find the picture of Russel Armstrong all over the Internet, with the caption, Russell Armstrong, husband of Real Housewife of Beverly Hills star, Taylor Armstrong, commits suicide.

Suddenly there wasn't much joy in watching the weekly train wrecks. As a matter of fact, I felt a bit responsible. No, I didn't drive Russell to suicide, but I felt a small bit of shame for having formed the opinion I had of him. I didn't know him. I knew what Bravo showed us of him, and everything else was provided by Taylor. It wasn't pretty. Their life wasn't what anyone dreams of growing up becoming. 

It was sad. And it was a strange thing to know that Russell had hung himself, rather then live with the pain. I've been there.

No suicides on the Real Housewives of New Jersey. Bankruptcies. Friendship Betrayal. Gossip. And yes... Cheating. In fact the big story arc this year, is about whether or not Teresa's husband, Joe, is cheating on her, as he awaits trial on fraud charges. A lot is supposed to be revealed in the coming weeks, as the preview shows Joe stepping away from dinner at a vineyard in Napa, to take a phone call from work. But when his wife follows him, he can be heard calling someone... "honey" and tells the person on the phone that he has to hang up, because his "bitch" wife is coming, and "what a cunt" she is.

Disgusting.

Alan would never speak about me that way.

I don't get it. They were filming their vacation in one of the most beautiful parts of the county, certainly the state of California, and the didn't see a bit of it. Not one bit. I know I am anything but impartial about the Bay Area, but really, they saw nothing to appreciate along the way? They didn't know why the Golden Gate Bridge wasn't gold. They had NO idea the history behind it, or why it was special right from it's start. They were all a little busy comparing dick sizes, peeing outside, and pointing out how just uninteresting everything in California was. 

I am not all that amazed, or even insulted by their remarks and attitudes, I expect all of them miss a lot of beautiful things in life. 

That's the part that makes me sad.

And I watch this show, again, because????

Hmmmm. 

~:(

I am really looking forward to our vacation in October. And yes, Napa is on our list. There is a wonderful Botanic garden there, with a lot of trees, that should be in full autumn leaf mode. I can't wait to hug Alan amongst those trees.

~Me :)

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I must get to your part of California someday, to see such wonderful sights in person!