Saturday, September 13, 2008

If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right ;)

"All you need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt."

-Charles M. Schulz

Today, September 13th, is National Chocolate Day, do you know where your dessert is? LOL. I have to admit, I probably don't have as strong a love for chocolate as most folks, but I also have to admit that there are times when nothing else will compare. Since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year, I have made the nutritional changes to my diet into a bit of a game. I have tested the affects of different foods on my blood glucose levels, and experimented with different ways of tweaking recipes to help in managing and meeting my dietary goals. I saw my diagnosis not as a setback in life, but rather a new way to take care of myself, and a new way to channel some creativity.

Today, my doctor is thrilled with me, and my ability to keep my blood glucose numbers in what she calls, "the fantastic range." Most of the time, I register numbers that would be considered good for non-diabetics. All the time I invested in myself has paid off in the form of being able to be a little nutritionally naughty on days like this. NATIONAL CHOCOLATE DAY! I am planning a nice healthy dinner tonight, to be followed by a slice of Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake. The one you see in the above photo to be exact. Dark chocolate is good for you, and it is good for the diabetic, when enjoyed in the proper portions. It's fun being a little naughty once in a while, especially if I know that along with the thrill, I am also taking care of myself.

So tell me, will you celebrating National Chocolate Day? And if so... how? What is your favorite chocolate indulgence? Do you prefer white chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate? Tell me everything... you know you want to!

Dark Chocolate Makes Your Heart's Blood Flow (Diabetes Health)

-OndineMonet
"An Assortment Of Sins"
Berkeley, California
September 13th, 2008
Morning

4 comments:

Mike said...

I can't believe I didn't know about this? I certainly will celebrate; not that it would be different tha any other day! :)

Karen Funk Blocher said...

That's it - I'm off to Safeway! Mostly for sugar-free popsicles, but if a little chocolate sneaks into my reusable shopping bag, so be it!

Florinda said...

By the time I read this post, there were only four hours left of National Chocolate Day - I wish I'd known sooner, so I could have celebrated more! But it was the perfect excuse to get out the Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies :-).

Happy National Chocolate Day!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea! Can I celebrate a day late? YUMMY!!!