Saturday, March 29, 2008

Have You Ever Stubbed Your Head?

"There will be rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better; we find comfort somewhere..."

-Jane Austin

Have you ever stubbed your toe? Of course you have! Stubbing ones toe is one of those wonderful human traits that all humans share. At some point we have all stubbed a toe. I have come to believe that God gave us certain parts of our bodies for reasons only he can fathom. The appendix is a good example. It doesn't really do much of anything but sit there and wait to perforate. You don't forget THAT pain if it has ever happened to you. I remember it like it was yesterday, but in fact, it was when I was 7 years old. It hurt. Large! And I still remember it. I remember the hospital stay, and I remember all I wanted when I got home after a two week stay away, was a big plate of my mother's homemade French Fries. Ahh yes, that's the stuff. LOL.

And then there's the spleen. Now that part of our bodies does actually perform a duty, but I learned from watching soap opera's in the 1970's that if you are in a car accident, and your spleen is damaged, you can live a full, healthy life without one. LOL. Didn't it seem like a lot of soap character's seemed to loose their spleens? Every time there was a car accident on one of those fantastic flights of afternoon fantasy, I just knew the spleen would be lost yet again. LOL. I wonder if Soap Opera Digest has ever done a round up of which characters have fallen to this fate? Hmmm... I may have to send them that request.

Anyway, I am thinking about stubbed toes and spleens, because this past week, something unusual took place in our house. We all three stubbed our heads. I went first, you see, Alan and I have been making friends with our new computer, and that requires that we eventually get around to hooking up all the hardware such as the printer and the headphones and the speakers and such. All the outside things that goes with computer ownership. And that is where the hilarity begins.

I was under the desk the other day, trying to find the power strip, when Elvis came over to assist me. I didn't know Alan had let him in the house, so imagine my surprise when a giant, black, hairy, tail decided to swat my unsuspecting face. LOL. YIKES! TWACK! BANG! Yes, not once, but twice I stubbed my brain against the edge of the desk. (Insert unladylike swear word here). LOL. I had hit my head so hard, I saw bubbles. Some people see little birdies swirling about their head, not me, I see bubbles. I got over it quickly, and Alan, Elvis and I had a good giggle about it, but man did my head hurt.

Very early the next morning, Elvis decided he was hungry at the ungodly hour of 3:30 AM. I usually try reasoning with him, which sometimes work, but on this day he would have none of it. Breakfast was being demanded... now! "Alan, the baby wants breakfast," I whispered loudly, "Can you feed the baby?" YAWN. "Ok Carly, I will feed him," Alan said sleepily. Ordinarily we feed Elvis around 6 or so, and then give him his insulin within a couple hours of that, but since he was eating early today, we would have to adjust the clock so we don't miss giving him his medicine. Alan was very sweet to get up for me.

I heard Alan pour the crunchies into the bowl, and then I heard a distinct TWACK! Swear word, swear word, swear word!!! "Alan, what happened?" "I stubbed my head Carly, where did those containers come from?" Ut oh! I forgot I had stacked some freshly packed some large plastic packing containers just the day before. Poor Alan. He had hit his head on the corner of one of the containers. As he climbed back into bed, I saw that he had quite a scratch across his forehead and a tiny bit of blood was already oozing from it. :(

He and I talked for a moment or two, and then fell into laughter about how clumsy we had been in the last 24 hours. We both now had bruises and scars across our foreheads. What would people think? And as we laid there giggling at ourselves, we hear Elvis run head first into the entertainment center, as he chased his invisible mouse. But that's nothing new, he has been doing that since he was a wee baby kitty. I am surprised he can think as straight as he does. LOL. That's just us, we do everything together! Including stubbing our heads. ;)

-OndineMonet
"I See Bubbles"
Berkeley, California
March 29, 2008
Afternoon

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Carly! Oh my, yes....I've had more than my fair share of head stubbing. I'm surprised I can even think coherently anymore! YEOW!!!!

Hugz,
~~Aunt Nub~~

Anonymous said...

I just spit my beer out all over my computer screen! You are So funny! This is a great entry!